Effective Strategies for Emergent and Early Writers
(Grades PreK-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 44T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41466
Are you looking for effective ways to encourage your young writers? Do you need strategies for teaching students the foundations for writing success? This online course focuses on helping teachers work with emergent and early writers by understanding the developmental stages of writing. Teachers will learn many useful and practical strategies they can use to help young writers with specific strategies for narrative, informative, and persuasive writing as well as basic research reports. Excellent children’s literature is used to present many writing strategies. Additional topics presented include the writing process, writer’s workshop, and using technology including online apps for student writing. Assessment options for writing are also presented. Finally, effective strategies for helping struggling writers are also shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I find your courses extremely valuable. It is always directly applicable to use in my classroom. It also expands and reinforces my thinking about teaching." - Theresa Tucker
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
- Writing Standards in the Classroom
- Developmental Stages of Writing
- Literature as a Springboard for Writing
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Focus on Narrative Writing: Developing a Character
- Focus on Narrative Writing: The Setting
- Focus on Narrative Writing: Creating the Plot
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Focus on Persuasive Writing
- Focus on Informative Writing
- Writing How-To Books
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Focus on Research Reports
- Basic Note Taking
- Helping Struggling Writers
- Test #4
- The Writing Process
- Writer's Workshop
- Writing Assessment
- Test #5
- Strategies for Emergent Writers
- Using Technology to Produce and Publish Writing
- Apps for Student Writing
- Assignment #4: Create writing lessons
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.