Effective Strategies for Emergent and Early Writers
(Grades PreK-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 44T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41466
Are you looking for effective ways to encourage your young writers? Do you need strategies for teaching students the foundations for writing success? This online course focuses on helping teachers work with emergent and early writers by understanding the developmental stages of writing. Teachers will learn many useful and practical strategies they can use to help young writers with specific strategies for narrative, informative, and persuasive writing as well as basic research reports. Excellent children’s literature is used to present many writing strategies. Additional topics presented include the writing process, writer’s workshop, and using technology including online apps for student writing. Assessment options for writing are also presented. Finally, effective strategies for helping struggling writers are also shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I find your courses extremely valuable. It is always directly applicable to use in my classroom. It also expands and reinforces my thinking about teaching." - Theresa Tucker
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
The Writing Teacher's Companion by Ralph Fletcher
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Writing Standards in the Classroom
- Developmental Stages of Writing
- Literature as a Springboard for Writing
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Focus on Narrative Writing: Developing a Character
- Focus on Narrative Writing: The Setting
- Focus on Narrative Writing: Creating the Plot
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Focus on Persuasive Writing
- Focus on Informative Writing
- Writing How-To Books
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Focus on Research Reports
- Basic Note Taking
- Helping Struggling Writers
- Test #4
- The Writing Process
- Writer's Workshop
- Writing Assessment
- Test #5
- Strategies for Emergent Writers
- Using Technology to Produce and Publish Writing
- Apps for Student Writing
- Assignment #4: Create writing lessons
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.