Word Play: Vocabulary Instruction in the Primary Grades
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 80T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41480
Are you looking for ways to rapidly grow your students' vocabulary? This online course focuses on ways to improve students' vocabulary. The course begins with options for vocabulary assessment. The results of the assessment will be used to guide instruction and select appropriate and effective instructional strategies. Strategies presented include word parts and word roots, semantic feature analysis, categorization, analogies, concept maps, traditional resources, and the cloze procedure. Teachers will also be presented with information regarding the strong connection between vocabulary development and comprehension. Teachers will understand the importance of reading aloud to students and establishing a print-rich classroom environment in order to build students' vocabularies. Finally, specific intervention strategies for struggling students are also shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Your courses have been beneficial. The final assignments are always great because I am actually able to use them in my classroom." - Sue Wiles
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
For the Love of Words: Vocabulary Instruction that Works by Diane E. Paynter, Elena Bodrova, and Jane K. Doty
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Focus on Vocabulary Research
- Three Tiers of Words
- The Effects of Vocabulary on Comprehension
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Vocabulary Assessment
- Cloze Procedure and Maze Technique
- Sight Word Vocabulary and High Frequency Words
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Structural Analysis
- Word Parts and Word Roots
- Creating a Print-Rich Classroom
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Semantic and Concept Maps
- Semantic Feature Analysis
- Test #4
- Figurative Language and Literature
- Content Area Vocabulary
- Reading Aloud to Students
- Test #5
- Building Word Awareness through Play
- Promoting Reading
- Vocabulary Interventions
- Assignment #4: Locate literature books that can be used to teach figurative language
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.