A New Approach to Spelling Instruction
(Grades K-6) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 97T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41492
Are you bored with teaching the same spelling lessons each week? This online course is designed for educators interested in learning a variety of ways to teach essential spelling skills to their students. Spelling is an essential and complex skill and an important component of the overall language arts curriculum. Instead of looking at spelling as a memorization process, spelling should be thought of as a building block of literacy development. In this course, teachers will learn a variety of proven ways to increase students’ spelling skills using interactive, developmental, and fun activities. Strategies such as word families, mnemonics, and self-correction model will all be shared. Teachers will also understand the developmental levels of spelling and how invented spelling fits in. Teachers will also be introduced to a variety of technology resources that can be used to promote spelling and vocabulary development. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This is an excellent course! The readings and resources were informative and changed the way I will be teaching spelling in my classroom. I can honestly say that this has been the most effective and informative graduate level course I have ever taken." - Thelma Leister
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Introduction to Spelling Instruction
- The Connection Between Spelling and Literacy
- Spelling Assessments
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Common Core State Standards for Spelling
- Invented Spelling
- The Stages of Spelling Development
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Instructional Spelling Groups
- Simple Spelling Games to Use in the Classroom
- Mnemonics and Other Strategies
- The Connection Between Vocabulary and Spelling
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Word Families
- Technology and Spelling
- Websites that Promote Spelling and Vocabulary Development
- Test #4
- Spelling Self-Correction Model
- Integrating Spelling Instruction with Writing
- Test #5
- Commonly Misspelled Words
- Spelling Principles to Know and Teach
- Spelling Homework
- Assignment #4: Develop two spelling lesson plans
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.