Conquering the Behavioral Challenges of Special Needs Students
(Grades K-2) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 48T03 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41621
Are you struggling with the behavioral challenges of your special education students? This online course is designed for teachers in grades K-2 who want to learn how to incorporate behavior interventions for special education students who have been diagnosed with disorders such as autism spectrum disorders, emotional and behavioral disorders, and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Information on behavior management is shared with a specific focus on a tiered system of behavioral support, implementing IEPs, functional behavior analysis, and behavior intervention plans. Specific strategies are introduced to help teachers support special education students who struggle behaviorally. The importance of developing routines and utilizing reinforcement techniques are also emphasized. Finally, teachers will learn how to establish effective and supportive parental involvement. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Loved this course! The course gave me a better understanding of what goes on in my school with students who have special needs and behavior challenges. I will be using and referring to much of the course materials." - Deborah Greiff
Only $99 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $271 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Lost and Found: Helping Behaviorally-Challenging Students by Ross W. Greene
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Understanding Behavior Management
- Preventing Poor Behavior Through Classroom Environment
- Recording Behavior and Record Keeping
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Tiered System of Behavior Support
- Individualized Education Programs
- Functional Behavior Analysis and Behavior Intervention Plans
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Teaching Social Skills
- Self-Management Strategies
- Developing Routines
- Test #4
- Reinforcement Techniques
- Extinction of Problem Behaviors
- Effective Praise in the Classroom
- Test #5
- Parental Involvement
- Glossary of Special Education Terms
- Assignment #4: Respond to the classroom scenarios with appropriate strategies
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.