The Science of Reading
(Grades K-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 138T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC42326
Are you one of the many educational professionals who seek to understand the science of reading and how to put its principles into practice in your classroom? The science of reading simply means reading instruction that is based on what has been scientifically proven to work. This online course provides K-5 teachers with the perfect tools to approach reading instruction using best practices, with readers specifically putting five areas of focus together (phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and comprehension) in order to become successful readers. Teachers will be provided with thorough background information and research-based support for each component of reading, as backed by reading science. As they progress through this course, teachers will be introduced to a variety of best practices as they relate to the teaching and learning of phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary, fluency, and reading comprehension. Teachers will add many tools to their already-existing schemas to help students who struggle in any of these five areas of reading. Additionally, effective research-based strategies for working with students who are learning English as an additional language and students with dyslexia are also shared. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to embed the science of reading practices into their own reading instruction so that all K-5 students can become better, more literate readers. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content was very informative to understanding the Science of Reading. Many helpful resources that can easily be used in any classroom were also available." - Jennifer Jardina
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Reading Wars
- Introduction to the Science of Reading
- The Science of Reading and Social Justice
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Science of Phonemic Awareness
- Best Practices for Teaching Phonemic Awareness
- Embracing the Science of Reading to Help Students Who Struggle with Phonemic Awareness
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Science of Phonics
- Best Practices for Teaching Phonics
- Embracing the Science of Reading to Help Students Who Struggle with Phonics
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Science of Vocabulary
- Best Practices for Teaching Vocabulary
- Embracing the Science of Reading to Help Students Who Struggle with Vocabulary
- Test #4
- The Science of Fluency
- Best Practices for Teaching Fluency
- Embracing the Science of Reading to Help Students Who Struggle with Fluency
- Test #5
- The Science of Reading Comprehension
- Best Practices for Teaching Reading Comprehension
- Embracing the Science of Reading to Help Students Who Struggle with Reading Comprehension
- Assignment #4: Create reading lessons using scientifically-proven strategies
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.