Content Area Multi-Sensory Teaching for Students w/Special Needs
(Grades K-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 113T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40269
As your classroom becomes more diverse with each passing year, are you finding it more difficult to meet the needs of your students, especially those with learning disabilities? Perhaps you are concerned because your diverse students just don’t seem to be “getting it,” no matter what you try. This online course is designed for K-5 teachers who wish to explore strategies and initiatives for incorporating a variety of multi-sensory strategies into their teaching repertoire in an effort to help those students with special learning needs. Teachers will be introduced to the basic outline of multi-sensory teaching as well as its benefits in the classroom for students with special needs. Then, teachers will learn a variety of strategies to “meet students where they are” in terms of their visual, auditory, kinesthetic, and tactile learning preferences in the areas of reading, writing, and mathematics. Teachers will also learn how to integrate the arts in multiple ways during reading, writing, and math in order to support these learning preferences. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident implementing a variety of multi-sensory teaching techniques (including the incorporation of the arts) into their classrooms so that their most at-risk students can find success. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from University of California San Diego (UCSD) Division of Extended Studies. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content and resources from this course are invaluable. I will use many of the tools, strategies, and knowledge I received from this class. This was the BEST course yet!" - Barbara Leahy
Course with Credit from UCSD
- Introduction to Multi-Sensory Teaching
- The Benefits of Multi-Sensory Teaching
- Integrating the Arts
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Visual Strategies for Reading
- Visual Strategies for Writing
- Visual Strategies for Math
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Auditory Strategies for Reading
- Auditory Strategies for Writing
- Auditory Strategies for Math
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Kinesthetic Strategies for Reading
- Kinesthetic Strategies for Writing
- Kinesthetic Strategies for Math
- Test #4
- Tactile Strategies for Reading
- Tactile Strategies for Writing
- Tactile Strategies for Math
- Test #5
- Integrating the Arts During Reading
- Integrating the Arts During Writing
- Integrating the Arts During Math
- Assignment #4: Create multi-sensory content area lesson plans
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.