The Flipped Classroom: An Interactive Approach to Student Engagement
(Grades 4-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 18T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41567
Are you curious about the flipped classroom model of teaching? Flipped learning is also referred to as blended learning wherein the traditional learning environment is reversed. Students access content at home through videos, podcasts, and Internet activities, thereby freeing up critical classroom time to devote to hands-on instruction. In this online course, teachers will learn how to effectively implement flipped learning in their classrooms. Teachers are provided with tips and strategies on how to create engaging instructional videos and develop interactive, collaborative, and hands-on classroom activities that foster self-directed learning skills. Specific information regarding how to flip instruction for each of the four main content areas is shared, using methods such as cooperative learning and targeted grouping. Finally, teachers will learn about the various assessment strategies which are appropriate for the flipped learning model. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found the content and resources to be very informative, thorough, clear, and concise. I have found many great resources to use in my quest to flip the classroom. This was my first PDI course, and I am so grateful for this resource. I have learned a lot and will be taking other courses in the future. Thank you!" - Wendy DeLaCruz
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Blended Learning in Action by Catlin R. Tucker, Tiffany Wycoff, and Jason T. Green
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- What is flipped learning?
- Why flip your classroom?
- A Plan for Implementation
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Technology and the CCSS
- Accessibility Considerations
- Internet Safety
- Cyber Bullying
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Creating a Classroom Website
- Video Production
- Presentation Tools
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Flipping Your Upper Elementary Classroom
- Flipping Your Middle and High School Classroom
- Test #4
- English Curriculum Flipping
- Social Studies Curriculum Flipping
- Science Curriculum Flipping
- Math Curriculum Flipping
- Test #5
- Cooperative Learning and Grouping Strategies
- Assessment in a Flipped Classroom
- Flipped Learning Resources
- Assignment #4: Create a flipped learning lesson based on the requirements set forth in the course
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.