Addressing the Needs of Diverse Populations
(Grades K-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 119T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40361
As your classroom becomes increasingly diverse, are you finding it more difficult to meet student needs at their individual levels? It doesn’t matter if you are new to the teaching profession or a seasoned veteran, trying to determine and support the diverse needs of your students can be overwhelming. The good news is that it does not have to be, as it is possible to address a multitude of learning needs using some of the strategies outlined in this course. This online course is designed for K-5 teachers who are looking to expand their current toolbox of strategies to address the diverse learning needs of students with ADHD, anxiety, linguistically diverse students, as well as those who have been identified as gifted and talented. Teachers will learn specific strategies to empower their students to succeed while simultaneously understanding their specific academic and social challenges. Additionally, teachers will learn the important role that culture plays in a diverse classroom, as well as specific strategies for engaging all learning styles in every lesson (visual, auditory, reading/writing, and kinesthetic). Teachers will also learn how Tier 1, 2, and 3 interventions can be used to address the diverse learning needs of their students vis-à-vis the MTSS (multi-tiered system of support) framework. Finally, teachers will learn specific strategies for engaging families and the overall school community so that all learning needs can be identified, encouraged, and supported. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to address the vast array of learning needs in their diverse classrooms. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found the resources from this course to be very informative, well organized, and engaging. I liked how there were relatable scenarios embedded into the material, and I found the strategies that were given in the resources to be well explained and easy to understand." - Cassandra Jones
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Understanding Diversity
- The Whole Child Approach to Diversity
- The Role of Culture in a Diverse Classroom
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Identifying and Supporting Students with ADHD
- Academic and Social Challenges of Students with ADHD
- Empowering Students with ADHD to Succeed
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Identifying and Supporting Students with Anxiety
- Academic and Social Challenges of Students with Anxiety
- Empowering Students with Anxiety to Succeed
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Identifying and Supporting Linguistically Diverse Students
- Academic and Social Challenges of Linguistically Diverse Students
- Empowering Linguistically Diverse Students to Succeed
- Test #4
- Identifying and Supporting Gifted and Talented Students
- Academic and Social Challenges of Gifted and Talented Students
- Empowering Gifted and Talented Students to Succeed
- Test #5
- Engaging All Learning Styles in Every Lesson
- Multi-Tiered Support Systems
- It Takes a Village: Collaboration as Community
- Assignment #4: Design lesson plans to help your diverse students
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.