The Daily 5
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 5T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40144
Do you find that working with small reading and writing groups at the primary level is a less than ideal situation? Are students constantly interrupting your small group instruction for directions and clarifications? This online course introduces the Daily 5, a framework for structuring the time students spend working on literacy. This literacy block routine is structured in such a way that an entire classroom of students is engaged in deliberate, thoughtful, interesting, and fun activities which are focused on literacy while the teacher meets with small groups or individuals to provide targeted instruction. This course provides an in-depth look at the core components of the Daily 5 structure including Read to Self, Work on Writing, Read to Someone, Word Work, and Listen to Reading. Participants will learn about the overall structure of the Daily 5, including how to introduce all five components through specific foundation lessons. Strategies will be offered for differentiation and assessment. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This was a great course that introduced me to the Daily 5 and how to use foundation lessons to teach students the routines and procedures of the Daily 5, and then focus lessons that use the CCSS for the Daily 5. The material was presented in a way that was easy to follow." - Charlotte Huffman
$127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Reading in the Wild by Donalyn Miller
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Introduction to the Daily 5
- Defining the Core Beliefs
- The Daily 5 and the Common Core State Standards for English Language Arts
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Preparing the Classroom for Optimal Learning
- The Ten Steps to Teaching and Learning Independence
- Helpful Support
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Read to Self
- Focus Lessons and Differentiation for Read to Self
- Read to Self: Make it a Success
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Work on Writing
- Focus Lessons and Differentiation for Work on Writing
- Work on Writing: Make it a Success
- Test #4
- Read to Someone
- Focus Lessons and Differentiation for Read to Someone
- Read to Someone: Make it a Success
- Test #5
- Word Work and Listen to Reading
- Focus Lessons and Differentiation for Word Work
- Word Work and Listen to Reading: Make them a Success
- Assignment #4: Create Daily 5 Lessons
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.