Embracing Diversity & Equity Through Culturally Responsive Teaching
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 12T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40247
Are you curious as to what culturally responsive teaching is and how exactly it relates to classroom teaching? Perhaps you are concerned because your diverse students just don't seem to be "getting it" no matter what you try. This online course is designed for K-12 teachers who are looking to dig deeper into their own teaching practices and explore strategies and initiatives for incorporating students' cultural backgrounds and experiences so that the focus is on the whole child/student. This course begins by discussing the history of marginalization and how it has impacted both teaching and learning within the classroom. The foundations of culturally responsive teaching are addressed, as well as strategies for helping students who have suffered from trauma. Teachers will also learn how to help students build confidence and competence through culturally inspiring teaching practices designed to nurture the whole student. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident implementing the principles of culturally responsive teaching into their classrooms. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This course was extremely informative, thoughtful, and really applicable to my classroom. This course contains multiple suggestions on how to make sure every student feels welcome and celebrated in the classroom." - Adam George
$127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Culturally and Linguistically Responsive Teaching and Learning by Sharroky Hollie
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The History of Marginalization
- Examining the Classroom through a Cultural Lens
- The Foundations of Culturally Responsive Teaching
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Trauma Informed Teaching
- ACEs and Assets
- Additional Strategies for Helping Students Who Have Experienced Trauma
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Unpacking Diversity and Social Justice
- The Relationship Among Culture, Communication, and Education
- The Three R's: Rigor, Relevance, and Relationships
- Creating and Sustaining Culturally Relevant Relationships
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Whole Student Approach to Learning
- Helping Students Build Confidence and Competence
- Culturally Inspiring Inclusive Teaching Practices
- Test #4
- Embracing Similarities and Differences
- Giving Students Voice and Choice
- Culturally Responsive Classroom Management Strategies
- Test #5
- Culture's Effect on Curriculum
- Selecting Multicultural Literature
- Working with Diverse Student Populations
- Assignment #4: Respond to classroom scenarios
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.