Classroom Management Strategies for High School Teachers
(Grades 9-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 102T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40140
Does managing your high school classroom seem like an impossible task? Most of us routinely invest a lot of time, effort, and energy into our most challenging students, oftentimes with unsustainable results. This online course addresses some of the most daunting classroom management issues including how to set boundaries and establish rapport, respecting diversity and differences, how to keep students motivated as you work to build a sense of community within your high school classroom, social and emotional learning, and how to shift the ownership of learning from teacher to student. Teachers also learn the importance of being organized and proactive, as well as how to create clear and concise rules and routines which have logical consequences. Rounding out the course is how to handle some typical high school problem areas, reaching across the aisle to work with parents and administration, making technology work in your favor, and how to prevent and address bullying issues. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"LOVED this class! I got so much out of it! It was so helpful with ideas for my 9th grade students and the craziness of the high schoolers I work with. Thank you!! - Rachel Manko-Hinds
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Breaking Down Classroom Management
- The Dynamic Elements of the Teenage Experience
- Relating Control to Classroom Management Styles
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Starting the School Year Off Right
- Setting Boundaries and Establishing Rapport
- Classroom Rules and Procedures
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Respecting Diversity and Differences
- Building Community within a High School Classroom
- How to Involve and Engage Students
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Art of Motivation
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Active Learning
- Test #4
- Preventing and Addressing Bullying
- The Proactive Approach to Discipline
- Typical High School Problem Areas
- Test #5
- Making Allies, Not Enemies of Parents and Administration
- Managing Cooperative Learning Groups
- Making Technology Work for You
- Assignment #4: Respond to classroom management scenarios
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.