Using Google Classroom for Teaching and Learning
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 85T03 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40105
Do you have Google Classroom and want to fully understand how to maximize its potential? In this course, teachers will learn how to use all the features of Google Classroom to enhance their teaching. Strategies for using the announcement, question, and assignment options to enhance the learning process will be emphasized as teachers move toward a paperless classroom. Teachers will also learn how to effectively use all of the quiz options. Strategies for differentiating instruction using the features of Google Classroom will be explored. Specific instructions for integrating Google Classroom with other Google products such as Google Calendar and Google Docs, as well as popular educational extensions and apps will be shared. Additionally, instructions for using the Google Classroom mobile app will be provided. Finally, using Google Classroom for assessment through the use of rubrics as well as the gradebook function are also shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
Note: You need access to Google Classroom to participate in this course. Google Classroom is not part of the standard Google Apps package. Please be sure you have access to Google Classroom before registering for this course.
"I really enjoyed the course material. I loved the content that I learned in the course. I already began implementing some of the skills in my class, and my students are excited too." - Ronda Fox
Only $99 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $271 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Google Classroom by Ted Lebowski
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Introduction to G Suite for Education
- What is Google Classroom?
- Why use Google Classroom?
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Getting Started - Setting Up and Signing In
- Navigating the Dashboard and Creating Your First Class
- Inviting Students to Join Your Class
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Creating and Posting Questions, Announcements, and Assignments
- Google Calendar Integration
- Paperless Grading
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Student View
- Digital Differentiation
- Monitoring and Sharing Student Work
- Test #4
- Introduction to the Google Classroom Mobile App
- Assessment Using the Mobile App
- Google Classroom as a Platform for Blended Learning and Flipped Classrooms
- Test #5
- Ending One Year and Planning for the Next
- Using Extensions and Apps
- Resources for Staying Current with Google Classroom
- Assignment #4: Create posts, add an assignment, and review an app
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.