Anti-Bullying Strategies for Primary Grades
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 65T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41501
Are you looking for ways to curb bullying behavior? This course will inform classroom teachers about bullying at the K-3 grade levels. Teachers will learn about the myths, facts, research, and current events that surround bullying and the major impact bullying has on learning. Teachers will be introduced to the different types of bullying and the various roles involved including bully, victim, and bystander. Effective strategies will be covered to help teachers assess, prevent, and reduce bullying in the classroom and school. Such strategies include creating positive relationships with students and integrating cooperative learning and character education into the curriculum. Teachers will understand how to properly intervene during incidents of bullying and learn how to create a safe learning environment for students. Teachers will also learn how to make parents their partners in bullying prevention. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I absolutely loved this course! I thought all of the resources were fantastic! This is such an important topic that needs to have more of a priority in the classrooms." - Diana Ajello
Only $127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Little Girls Can Be Mean by Michelle Anthony and Reyna Lindert
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Bullying: Research and Facts
- A Comprehensive Definition of Bullying
- Types of Bullying
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Predictors and Contributing Factors
- Positive Relationships as a Prevention Method
- Cooperative Learning
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Properly Identifying Bullying and Cyber Bullying
- Communicating and Reporting Responsibilities
- Roles of Bullies, Victims, and Witnesses
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Impact Bullying has on Learning
- The Teacher’s Role: Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- Legal Issues
- Test #4
- Consequences of Bullying
- Using Character Education to Combat Bullying
- When Intervention is Necessary
- Test #5
- Working with Parents
- Bullying Management Activities
- Anti-Bullying Resources
- Assignment #4: Respond to bullying situations presented in the course
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.