Teaching Tolerance and Respect: Preventing Bullying in High School
(Grades 9-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 110T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40224
Are you concerned about the prevalence of bullying and violence in high schools across America? For many different reasons, the classrooms, quads, hallways, and cafeterias of many high schools are not as simple as they used to be. This online course is designed for high school teachers who are looking to discover strategies and initiatives for addressing these bullying behaviors in their classrooms and schools. This course begins by digging into the different types of bullying. Teachers learn how to proactively approach a variety of bullying behaviors so that students’ important social and emotional skills are addressed and nurtured as a way of regulating and resolving a variety of intense emotions. This course specifically addresses research-based approaches to bullying prevention, including the establishment of rules and expectations, teaching recognition strategies to all involved stakeholders, and the various methods of reporting and communicating violent outbursts. At the end of the course, teachers will understand how to best help students penetrate the deep-seated code of silence so that they can transform from bystanders into important and critical upstanders. Teachers will also learn how to correctly respond to incidents of bullying so that victims are taught to refuse to partake in the continuing behavior. By doing so, students are taught how to replace aggression with compassion and kindness. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"LOVED this course! Bullying is a growing epidemic and I feel as though I had very little grasp of its definition, scope, and extent of what to do about it before this course. I feel quite the opposite now. The resources were plentiful, the textbook fascinating and valuable, and I feel much more adept at being able to prevent and respond to bullying appropriately in the classroom." - Paul Green
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Bullying Beyond the Schoolyard: Preventing and Responding to Cyberbullying by Sameer Hinduja and Justin W. Patchin
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Background of Bullying
- Types of Bullying
- The Role of Bullying in School Violence
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Establishing and Nurturing an Inclusive Classroom Community
- The Proactive Approach to Bullying Behaviors
- Attending to Students' SEL Needs
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Student as Bully
- The Student as Victim
- The Student as Bystander
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Improving School Climate to Combat Bullying
- The Relationship between Character Education and Bullying
- Regulating and Resolving Intense Emotions
- Test #4
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #1 - Rules
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #2 - Recognize
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #3 - Report
- Test #5
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #4 - Respond
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #5 - Refuse
- The Six Rs of Bullying Prevention: Rule #6 - Replace
- Assignment #4: Create a bullying prevention policy
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.