Classroom Management Survival Course
(Grades K-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 66T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41473
How many times have you thought that you could accomplish a great deal more in the classroom if only your students would just behave? This online course focuses on helping teachers explore a variety of classroom management strategies. Teachers will learn many useful and practical techniques for working with students. A particular focus is effective strategies for working with special populations such as difficult students, English language learners, and students with learning disabilities. Teachers will also spend time learning about the importance of establishing clear and concise classroom rules and routines. Character education will also be introduced as it relates to classroom management. Teachers will also learn the benefits of cooperative learning in creating a positive classroom environment. Conflict resolution strategies that can be taught to students will also be explored, particularly within the context of bullying situations. Finally, teachers will learn how to properly and effectively create individualized behavior plans. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Content was meaningful and applicable to my situation. It was great to focus on workable behavior strategies that can be applied in the classroom. Very easy format to follow." - Carolyn Leslie
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Importance of Classroom Management
- Establishing an Effective Learning Environment
- Shifting from Reactive to Proactive
- Cooperative Learning
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Getting to Know Your Students
- The Importance of Observation and Documentation
- Developing a Discipline Plan
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Impact of a Teacher's Actions, Behavior, and Communication
- Creating Directions for Routines
- Teaching Management Routines
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Working with Students with Learning Disabilities
- Working with Small Groups
- Working with Difficult Students
- Test #4
- How Character Education Impacts Classroom Management
- Conflict Resolution Strategies
- Home-School Connection
- Test #5
- Working with English Language Learners
- How to Handle Bullying
- Individualized Behavior Plans
- Assignment #4: Develop a behavior plan for two difficult students
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.