Bullying: Awareness, Prevention, and Intervention
(Grades 4-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 64T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41497
Are you concerned about the bullying epidemic? This online course is designed to teach elementary and middle grade teachers about the myths, facts, research, and current events that surround the topic of bullying. Teachers will be introduced to the most common types of bullying behaviors and they will become familiar with the various roles involved in bullying. Teachers will also learn about the effects that bullying has on learning. Strategies will be covered to help teachers effectively assess, prevent, and reduce bullying. At the end of this course, teachers will understand how to properly intervene during incidents of bullying, and they will learn how to develop and implement a variety of activities which are designed to put an end to bullying in the classroom. Teachers will also learn how to integrate character education into their content lessons, as well as how to partner with parents in an effort to end bullying. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I loved this entire course!!! I thought all the required readings were informative and gave much to reflect on. Fantastic class!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED the format!!!!" - Marnie Garcia
Only $127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Bullying Hurts: Teaching Kindness Through Read Alouds and Guided Conversations by Lester Laminack & Reba Wadsworth
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Bullying: Research and Facts
- A Comprehensive Definition of Bullying
- Types of Bullying
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Predictors and Contributing Factors
- Assessment and Identification of Bullying
- Creating Surveys
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Communicating and Reporting Responsibilities
- Roles of Bullies, Victims, and Witnesses
- Cyber Bullying
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Impact Bullying has on Learning
- Long and Short Term Consequences of Bullying
- The Teacher’s Role: Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- Test #4
- Legal Issues
- A Comprehensive Plan for Immediate Intervention
- Using Character Education to Combat Bullying
- Test #5
- Working with Parents
- Bullying Management Activities
- Anti-Bullying Resources
- Assignment #4: Create activities that can be used in the classroom to prevent and reduce bullying.
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.