Bullying: Awareness, Prevention, and Intervention
(Grades 4-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 64T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41497
Are you concerned about the bullying epidemic? Are you seeing more and more instances of bullying at your school? This online course is designed to help teachers understand the myths, facts, research, and current events that surround the topic of bullying. Teachers will be introduced to the most common types of bullying behaviors and become familiar with the various roles involved in bullying. Predictors and contributing factors, as well as assessment and identification of bullying will also be shared. Teachers will also learn about the effects that bullying has on learning in both the short term and the long term. Strategies will be covered to help teachers effectively assess, prevent, and reduce bullying, both in the classroom and throughout the school. Teachers will understand how to properly intervene during incidents of bullying, and they will learn how to develop and implement a variety of activities which are designed to put an end to bullying in the classroom. Teachers will also learn how to integrate character education into their content lessons, as well as how to partner with parents in an effort to end bullying. By the end of this course, teachers will feel empowered to handle bullying in the classroom and school. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from University of California San Diego (UCSD) Division of Extended Studies. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I loved this entire course!!! I thought all the required readings were informative and gave much to reflect on. Fantastic class!!! LOVED LOVED LOVED the format!!!!" - Marnie Garcia
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD
$329 with the discount
- Bullying: Research and Facts
- A Comprehensive Definition of Bullying
- Types of Bullying
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Predictors and Contributing Factors
- Assessment and Identification of Bullying
- Creating Surveys
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Communicating and Reporting Responsibilities
- Roles of Bullies, Victims, and Witnesses
- Cyber Bullying
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Impact Bullying has on Learning
- Long and Short Term Consequences of Bullying
- The Teacher’s Role: Creating a Safe Learning Environment
- Test #4
- Legal Issues
- A Comprehensive Plan for Immediate Intervention
- Using Character Education to Combat Bullying
- Test #5
- Working with Parents
- Bullying Management Activities
- Anti-Bullying Resources
- Assignment #4: Create activities that can be used in the classroom to prevent and reduce bullying.
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.