Best Practices for a Successful Primary Classroom
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 15T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41570
Do you need help keeping your young students engaged and focused? This course is designed for primary teachers who are in need of learning best practices for creating and managing a successful primary classroom. This course covers strategies for implementing the new 21st century standards, while managing time so that all content is covered. Behavioral issues and overall classroom management techniques help teachers manage their classrooms more successfully so they have time for what is most important—meeting the needs of their students. Teachers will learn how to maximize the resources they have available to them as well as find innovative ways to gain more resources at little-to-no cost. This course also provides successful strategies for gaining students’ attention and interest, and truly engaging them in lessons. Mainstreaming English language learners and students with special needs is also covered in depth. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I am so happy that I was able to participate in this course! The content was meaningful and relevant to primary teachers and beyond. Right away I began applying the strategies and accessing the resources to assist me in my current classroom" - Nicolle Storm
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Most Common Challenges in a Primary Classroom
- The Perfect Primary Classroom
- Recognizing the Needs of Students
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Teacher’s Role in a Successful Primary Classroom
- The Best Methods for Managing Student Behavior
- Anti-Bullying Strategies for the Primary Classroom
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Effective Time Management and Organizational Strategies
- Engaging and Motivating Every Student in Your Classroom
- Differentiating Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Students
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Successfully Mainstreaming English Language Learners and Students with Special Needs into Your Classroom
- Transitioning to the Rigorous Common Core State Standards with Confidence
- Understanding and Preparing Students for the Common Core Assessments
- Test #4
- Making the Most of Classroom or School Technology
- Addressing a Lack of Classroom Resources
- Dealing with Difficult People and Parents
- Test #5
- Best Practices for Dealing and Communicating with Parents
- The Habits of Highly Successful Teachers
- Resources for the Successful Primary Classroom
- Assignment #4: Develop a plan for using new strategies
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.