Best Practices for a Successful 4th-6th Grade Classroom
(Grades 4-6) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 16T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41573
Are you struggling with how to motivate and manage your 4th through 6th grade students? This online course is designed for teachers of grades four through six who are interested in exploring best practices for developing and managing a successful classroom. This course covers strategies for implementing the new 21st century standards, while managing time so that all content is covered. Behavioral issues are covered along with overall classroom management techniques. This course also provides successful strategies for gaining students’ attention and interest, and truly engaging them in lessons. Teachers will also learn how to respond to a variety of teaching challenges, including how to effectively reach their most at-risk students. Techniques for differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all students are covered as well. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Excellent course and resources! I enjoyed the selected readings as well as the links and videos. Good stuff!!" - Heidi Smith
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Most Unique Factors of the 4th-6th Grade Classroom
- The Perfect 4th-6th Grade Classroom
- The Teacher’s Role in a Successful 4th-6th Grade Classroom
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Time Management and Organizational Strategies
- The Best Methods for Managing Behavior
- Engaging and Motivating Every Student in Your Classroom
- Anti-Bullying Strategies for the 4th-6th Grade Classroom
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Differentiating Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Students
- Helping English Language Learners to Succeed
- Understanding and Helping Students with Special Needs
- Working with Students Who Live in Poverty
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Transitioning to the Common Core State Standards with Confidence
- Understanding and Preparing Students for the Common Core Assessments
- Strategies for Integration of Content: How to Fit it All In
- Test #4
- Addressing a Lack of Classroom Resources
- Making the Most of Technology
- Test #5
- Working with Parents
- Maintaining the Classroom You Created
- Resources for the Successful 4th-6th Grade Classroom
- Assignment #4: Develop a plan for using new strategies
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.