Implementing the Workshop Model in Reading, Writing, Math, and Science
(Grades 4-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 11T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40221
Are you wondering what the word workshop has to do with reading, writing, mathematics, and science? After all, a workshop is typically a messy place where people come to imagine, apply, and create. The fact of the matter is that the whole process of teaching and learning can and should become “messy,” as students grapple with rigorous concepts and ideas within the confines of a predictable, motivating, and engaging routine. This online course is designed for teachers in grades 4-8 who want to learn how to better engage their students as they examine and investigate a variety of interesting and engaging concepts and activities on a daily basis using the workshop model. The focus of the course is on helping teachers implement a workshop model for reading, writing, math, and science that includes a mini-lesson, student-directed independent work (while the teacher meets with small groups or conferences), and sharing. Some of the additional highlighted topics include backwards planning and organization, goal setting, project-based learning through the use of STEM activities, and tapping into students’ natural curiosity using makerspaces, all under the auspices of a rigorous, supportive, and engaging classroom. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content and resources from this course are excellent. I can review material to use in my everyday teaching practice." - Shavern Paul-Fraser
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Workshop Model
- Goal Setting in the Workshop Model
- Begin at the End: Backwards Planning and Organization
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Reading Workshop
- Guided Reading, Conferring, and Strategy Groups for Reading
- Independent Reading
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Writing Workshop
- Independent Writing and Sharing
- Conferring and Strategy Groups for Writing
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Math Workshop
- Independent Work Time in the Math Workshop
- Organization within the Math Workshop Format
- Test #4
- Science Workshop
- Project-Based Learning Through the Use of STEM Activities
- Tapping into Students' Natural Curiosity Using Makerspaces
- Test #5
- Classroom Management in the Workshop Model
- Teacher and Student Responsibilities in the Workshop Model
- Student Motivation and Engagement
- Assignment #4: Create a motivating and engaging activity for each of the four workshops (reading, writing, math, and science)
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.