Guiding Emergent and Early Struggling Writers to Success
(Grades K-2) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 31T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41578
How can you help your struggling writers become more successful with their writing? Children often begin school excited to learn how to write, but for those who struggle, the spark is quickly diminished. If you want to put the spark back into your students’ writing, this course is meant for you! This online course is designed for teachers in grades K-2 who want to help their struggling students with key writing skills. Specific strategies will be introduced that improve student writing. Information on the writing process is shared together with specific suggestions for incorporating specific writing strategies such as the six traits, the use of literature in tandem with writing, nonfiction writing, and writing across the curriculum. By the end of this course, teachers will more fully understand how to best help their struggling writers and will have gained valuable classroom ideas including using writer’s workshop, the writing process, technology that promotes writing, and appropriate writing assessment. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I learned so much from reading the online course documents as well as reading the textbook. The writing process was discussed in a thorough manner and provided much insight on how teachers can successfully help their students learn the various writing genres." - Kelly Nichol
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Why Johnny Can't Write: A Brief History of Writing
- Writing Standards-What? There were writing standards?
- Introduction to the Common Core Standards for Writing
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Emergent Writer
- The Early Writer
- Developing Fluency
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Building a Community of Learners
- Differentiation is Key
- Struggling or learning disabled?
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Understanding the Writing Process
- Writer's Workshop
- The Six (plus one) Traits of Writing
- Test #4
- The Reading-Writing Connection
- Using Literature to Teach Writing
- Introducing Nonfiction Text
- Test #5
- Writing Across the Curriculum
- The Gradual Release of Responsibility
- Assessing Student Writing
- Assignment #4: Create writing activities based on literature books
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.