Teaching STEM and NGSS at the Primary Level
(Grades K-2) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 2T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40112
Have you been wondering how to incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards into your STEM classroom? Do you want to learn how to create a more hands-on science structure in your classroom? This course takes K-2 teachers through a step-by-step explanation of the standards and includes examples and suggestions of how to incorporate them into your science classroom. The course also guides you through how to interpret the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas at the K-2 level. The 5Es of inquiry-based science are discussed, as well as how Universal Design for Learning, multiple intelligences, and STEM strategies all work together to connect the design and implementation of science lessons, labs, and stations. Teachers will be introduced to an overview of assessment and how it applies to the Next Generation Science Standards, as well as a brief overview of how to manage an inquiry-based classroom. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I thought the content and resources were excellent. The course was developed with practicing teachers in mind." - Sylvan Taylor
Only $99 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $271 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
The 5 Es of Inquiry-Based Science by Lakeena Chitman-Booker and Kathleen Kopp
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Birth of the NGSS
- Overview of the Three Dimensions
- The Journey from Framework to Standards
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Engaging Students in the Process of Science
- The Five E's of Inquiry
- Universal Design for Learning
- The Reach of STEM
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Translating Standards to Curriculum and Instruction
- Dimension 1: Scientific and Engineering Practices
- Dimension 2: Crosscutting Concepts
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Physical Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Life Sciences
- Test #4
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Earth and Space Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science
- Test #5
- Connecting Science and Math
- Science Stations
- Managing an Inquiry-Based Classroom
- Assessing the Science Classroom
- Assignment #4: Create STEM activities
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.