Unleashing the Power of NGSS and STEM
(Grades 3-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 4T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40122
Have you been trying to find a way to incorporate the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) into your STEM classroom using a more hands-on approach to learning? This online course takes teachers of grades 3-5 through a step-by-step explanation of the standards and includes examples and suggestions of how to incorporate them into their science lessons. The course also guides teachers through how to interpret the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas contained within the NGSS. Teachers will be introduced to various instructional models for learning, including the 5Es of inquiry, the 4E x 2 model, and Universal Design for Learning. Teachers will learn how to create an active learner-centered classroom so that various STEM strategies can be used to connect the design and implementation of NGSS-based science lessons, labs, and stations. Teachers will be introduced to an overview of assessment and how it applies to the Next Generation Science Standards, as well as a brief overview of how to blend technology and flip a science classroom to make it more student-centered. By the end of this course, teachers will have a solid understanding of the NGSS Standards and how to create engaging lessons to put them into practice and action in the classroom. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from University of California San Diego (UCSD) Division of Extended Studies. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Great information provided in text, printed materials, and websites included. I feel I gave gained much from the multitude of resources. Thanks!" - Melissa Anthony
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD
$329 with the discount
- Guided Inquiry-Based Learning
- Work Smarter, Not Harder
- What is STEM?
- NGSS: An Overview
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Learner-Centered Teaching Strategies
- Instructional Models for Learning
- Universal Design for Learning
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Translating Standards to Curriculum and Instruction
- Dimension 1: Scientific and Engineering Practices
- Dimension 2: Crosscutting Concepts
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Physical Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Life Sciences
- Test #4
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Earth and Space Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science
- Test #5
- Active Learning in the Science Classroom
- Blending Technology into the Science Classroom
- Science Stations
- Assessing the Science Classroom
- Assignment #4: Create hands-on science activities
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.