Educating the Whole Student: Mindfulness & Social-Emotional Learning
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 105T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40154
Are you in need of ways to help integrate social-emotional learning practices into your daily teaching? This online course is designed for K-12 teachers who want to focus on the whole student by supporting social-emotional learning skills. Teachers will learn specific strategies for addressing students’ social and emotional needs through mindfulness practices. Teachers will also learn about the role they play in nurturing students’ self-efficacy and grit to persevere through challenging times and situations. Strategies for helping students manage everyday relationships by making the right choices will be shared as well as techniques for regulating and resolving conflict when it occurs. Teachers will also gain suggestions to share with students for better communication as they deal with diverse groups of students and to help them become more socially aware. Components of character education are also shared within the course as they relate to social-emotional learning concepts. Teachers will also learn how to develop a strong school-family partnership. Finally, teachers will learn how to use the responsive classroom approach to build and support an inclusive classroom community. By the end of this course, teachers will understand the importance of SEL as a process for teaching students essential life skills. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from University of California San Diego (UCSD) Division of Extended Studies. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I loved this course! I think it was one of the best PDI classes I have taken. I have so many ideas and strategies I want to try, and have a clear understanding of mindfulness and social-emotional learning." - Katherine Wang
Course with Credit from UCSD
- The Whole Student Approach to Learning
- Social and Emotional Learning: A Schoolwide Approach
- Minding Mindfulness
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Teacher's Role in the Whole Student Classroom
- Teaching the Intangibles
- Connecting SEL and Mindfulness Practices to the Classroom
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Coaching Students to Manage Everyday Relationships
- Making the Right Choices
- Regulating and Resolving Conflict and Intense Emotions
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Dealing with Diversity
- Communication is Key
- Becoming Socially Aware
- Test #4
- The Character Education Connection
- Using SEL to Prevent Bullying and Improve School Climate
- Nurturing Self-Efficacy
- Test #5
- Building and Supporting an Inclusive Classroom Community
- Responsive Classroom Approach and Social-Emotional Learning
- Establishing and Nurturing School-Family Partnerships
- Assignment #4: Integrate SEL Skills into Lesson Plans
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.