Response to Intervention in Reading
(Grades K-6) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 24T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41449
Are you in need of strategies to help your struggling readers? Do you want to know more about the Response to Intervention (RtI) model? This online course is designed for teachers who are beginning to implement the Response to Intervention model in reading. The course materials are based on current best-practices research. Topics addressed in the course include an overview of RtI and the importance of using multiple and varied assessments. The focus is on progress monitoring and specific interventions for the big five ideas in reading including phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Interventions for struggling readers and English language learners will also be presented. Additionally, interventions for reading math content are included. A variety of scheduling models are also shared. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content of this RTI course was relevant to the needs of my classroom. The lessons addressed the current trends I've seen in my district and have provided me with useful tools and lessons that will support me as I implement RTI." - Jodi Piazza
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
RTI from All Sides: What Every Teacher Needs to Know by Mary Howard
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Understanding Response to Intervention
- RTI is Good Teaching
- Further Your Understanding
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Basics of Assessment
- Screeners and Progress Monitoring
- Informal Assessments
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Basics of Reading Instruction
- Phonemic Awareness
- Fluency, Vocabulary, and Comprehension
- Understanding Interventions
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Concept of Intervention
- Phonemic Awareness and Phonics Interventions
- Auditory Discrimination
- Progress Monitoring for Phonemic Awareness and Phonics
- Test #4
- Interventions for Fluency
- Progress Monitoring for Fluency
- Interventions for Vocabulary
- Progress Monitoring for Vocabulary
- Test #5
- Comprehension Interventions
- Progress Monitoring for Comprehension
- Response to Intervention for Special Populations
- Response to Intervention for Math
- Scheduling Models
- Assignment #4: Design an intervention plan
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.