Reading Workshop Approach in the Middle Grades
(Grades 4-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 26T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41450
Are you interested in learning the whys, whats, and hows of implementing a reader's workshop approach in your classroom? This course is designed for teachers who work with readers in grades 4-8. It details the basics of implementing a reader’s workshop approach in your classroom. The course materials are based on current best-practices research. Topics addressed in the course include an overview of the workshop approach, using multiple and varied assessments, differentiation strategies, whole class, small group, and independent work teaching strategies, as well as tips and hints for record-keeping. There is also an emphasis on management and routines to help the reader’s workshop run effectively and efficiently. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content of the course was extremely relevant for me as a teacher implementing reader's workshop. I have already referred back to many of the resources as I set up my reader's workshop." - Elizabeth Speakman
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
The Reading Zone by Nancie Atwell and Anne Atwell Merkel
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Common Approaches to Teaching Reading
- The What, Why, and How of a Reader's Workshop Approach
- Management and Routines in a Reader's Workshop
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Reasons to Collect Reading Data
- Commonly Used and Easy to Administer Assessments
- Group Reading Profiles
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Overview of Whole Class Instruction
- Shared Short Texts
- Genre-Based and Thematic-Based Units
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Guided Reading and Learning Groups
- Leveling Books
- Test #4
- Skills and Strategies for Individual Growth
- Individual Goal Setting
- Conferring with Readers
- Learning Stations
- Test #5
- Motivating Students
- Voice and Choice for Students
- Book Talks and Other Strategies
- Cooperative Grouping
- Asking Students to Show what they Know
- Assignment #4: Design a book project
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.