Creating a Dynamic Classroom Through Project-Based Learning
(Grades K-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 116T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40298
Does the phrase project-based learning seem entirely foreign to you? Perhaps you’ve heard about it but it seems much too complicated to incorporate into your current teaching practices? The good news is that it doesn’t need to be. Also known as PBL, project-based learning is a great way to engage students so that they are challenged to use their higher-order 21st century skills as they collaborate to learn content in a fun and exciting way. This online course is designed for K-5 teachers who are looking to explore how PBL can fit into their current curriculum. In doing so, students become immersed in the guided inquiry process. As they work through a variety of projects, they become critical and creative thinkers and communicators who are able to work collaboratively while embracing what has become known as Gold Standard PBL. This course begins by discussing the role that PBL plays in 21st century learning. As teachers progress through the course, they will take a deep dive into each of PBL’s essential components. Teachers will learn how to effectively implement each of the components throughout several content areas, including reading, math, science, engineering, and social studies. Teachers will learn strategies for establishing a PBL mindset in their classrooms and they will learn how to “marry” some “out of the box” strategies within the PBL framework. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to implement project-based learning into their own teaching practices. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I enjoyed this course, its content, and the instructor. The resources were relevant, useful, and helpful. The content was up-to-date and rich." - Lindsey Lienau
Only $99 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $271 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Project-Based Teaching: How to Create Rigorous and Engaging Learning Experiences by Suzie Boss and John Larmer
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Role of Project-Based Learning in 21st Century Learning
- Setting the Stage for Project-Based Learning
- Breaking Down Project-Based Learning
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Establishing a Culture of Inquiry and Creativity
- The Basics of Guided Inquiry
- How to Create a PBL Project from the Ground Up
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Establishing a PBL Mindset in the Reading Classroom
- Stimulating 21st Century Skills
- The Power of Pen Pals as a PBL Project
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Reasoning Mathematically
- The Art of Solving Problems
- Project-Based Learning in the Math Classroom
- Test #4
- Thinking Like a Scientist or Engineer
- Integrating STEM into Project-Based Learning
- Project-Based Learning in Science and Engineering
- Test #5
- Making Projects Authentic through Simulations
- Incorporating Technology into Social Studies Projects
- Project-Based Learning in the Social Studies Classroom
- Assignment #4: Create project-based learning projects for each content area
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.