The Next Generation Science Standards
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 36T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40102
Have you tried to make sense of the Next Generation Science Standards without feeling successful? Are you overwhelmed because your district has recently adopted these new standards and you are not sure where to begin? This online course is designed for teachers in grades K-12 who want to begin to unpack the complexity of the Next Generation Science Standards. This course takes teachers through a step-by-step explanation of the standards, including how to interpret the science and engineering practices, crosscutting concepts, and disciplinary core ideas at each respective grade band. The role of curricula is discussed, as well as how Universal Design for Learning plays an important role in the assessment of the standards. Teachers will be introduced to an overview of assessment and how it applies to the Next Generation Science standards, as well as a brief overview of how to bundle some of the core ideas contained within the standards. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This is a very well put together course!! I have really learned a lot about the new standards and how they are meant to be implemented." - Carol Dicksen
Only $127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Proficiency Scales for the New Science Standards: A Framework for Science Instruction and Assessment by Robert Marzano, David Yanoski, and Diane Paynter
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Developing the NGSS: A Brief History
- A New Conceptual Framework
- The Guiding Principles of the Framework
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Shift to the Next Generation Science Standards
- The Anatomy of a Standard
- Important Considerations
- All Standards, All Students
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Performance Expectations
- Dimension 1: Scientific and Engineering Practices
- Dimension 2: Crosscutting Concepts
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Physical Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Life Sciences
- Test #4
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Earth and Space Sciences
- Dimension 3: Disciplinary Core Ideas — Engineering, Technology, and Applications of Science
- Test #5
- The Role of Curriculum
- Integrating Technology into Science Instruction
- Universal Design for Learning
- The Future of Science Assessment
- Assignment #4: Create STEM activities
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.