Teaching Students with Special Needs in the Mainstream Classroom
(Grades K-6) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 23T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41528
Does your classroom population include students with special needs? This online course teaches K-6 teachers how to address students with special needs in the general classroom. The course provides information about teacher involvement in the special education process in terms of assessment, intervention, and collaboration. A variety of suggestions for working with students who have special needs such as learning disabilities, intellectual disabilities, emotional and behavioral disorders, communication disorders, autism spectrum disorders, ADHD, sensory impairments, and low-incidence disabilities are provided. Also included are strategies to assist ELLs, at-risk, and gifted students. Each special need is defined, and common causes and characteristics are identified, along with suggested instructional strategies. Intervention strategies and classroom adaptations are also provided to help teachers accommodate students with special needs in an inclusive classroom. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Excellent course! The content is very beneficial and inspires you to try new things. Thank you for offering this level of quality learning and instruction for busy teachers." - Lucy Allen
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Your Students, My Students, Our Students: Rethinking Equitable and Inclusive Classrooms by Lee Ann Jung, Nancy Frey, Douglas Fisher, and Julie Kroener
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Course Overview and Glossary
- The Definition and Scope of Special Needs
- Services for Students with Special Needs
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Special Education Process
- Identifying Special Needs
- Pre-referral Intervention Strategies
- The Formal Referral Process
- Program Placement
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Importance of Collaboration
- Creating an Inclusive Classroom
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Students with Learning Disabilities
- Students with Intellectual Disabilities
- Students with Emotional and Behavioral Disorders
- Students with ADHD
- Test #4
- Students with Communication Disorders
- Students with Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Students with Sensory Impairments
- Students with Low-Incidence Disabilities
- Test #5
- Working with ELLs
- Working with At-Risk Students
- Teaching Gifted and Talented Students
- Special Needs and the CCSS
- Assignment #4: Design a lesson that properly differentiates instruction to accommodate students with the chosen disability/special need in your classroom.
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.