Effectively Using iPads to Transform Your Classroom
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 81T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41517
Do you love your iPad and are looking for innovative ways to use it in your classroom? In this online course, teachers will learn how to successfully use iPads in the K-12 classroom. Teachers are taught the importance of using the iPad to reach educational objectives and teach real-world technology skills to students. A plethora of apps are introduced that align with curriculum standards. The apps outlined in the course can be used to teach English language arts, mathematics, science, social studies, health, and the arts. Teachers will also learn how to access and use Google apps on the iPad. Teachers will be introduced to apps that can be used for communication, collaboration, and social networking. Additionally, teachers learn about apps that can be used as classroom tools for instruction and assessment, as well as those that can serve as platforms for the creation of multimedia components and projects. Finally, teachers will discover a multitude of additional uses for the iPad, such as creating presentations (both for students and by students), creating their own podcast, and developing screencasts for classroom instruction. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I really enjoyed learning the many different ways iPads can be integrated into the classroom. What I found most useful were the apps for each subject as well as general learning apps and grading apps." - Jennifer Patton
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Using Technology with Classroom Instruction That Works by Howard Pitler, Elizabeth Hubbell, and Matt Kuhn
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- History of Apple and the iPad
- The Intersection of Education and the iPad
- Getting to Know the iPad
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Using Apps for Digital Reading
- Using Apps for Digital Writing
- Using Apps for Researching
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Using Apps for Mathematics
- Using Apps for Science
- Using Apps for Social Studies
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Learning Tools for Health and the Art
- Google Apps
- Communication, Collaboration, and Social Networking
- Integrating Video, Digital Art, and Animation
- Test #4
- iPad Presentations
- Utilizing and Creating Podcasts
- Delivering Instruction through Screencasts
- Test #5
- The iPad as an Assessment Tool
- Top Apps for Learning
- iPad Resources
- Assignment #4: Create a Buncee presentation with your iPad
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.