Guided Reading 101
(Grades K-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 112T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40264
Is the push for individualized differentiated instruction making it difficult for you to address the various learning needs and ability levels of your students during your reading block? Perhaps you feel frustrated because "teaching in the middle" seems to alienate a whole spectrum of learners? Guided reading is a way in which teachers can guide their students throughout the entire reading process, in a targeted and personalized manner. This online course is designed for K-5 teachers who wish to explore the guided reading strategy in detail. Teachers will be introduced to the basic framework of guided reading and will learn a variety of strategies to meet all their students' needs in the building block areas of phonemic awareness, phonics, fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension. Teachers will learn about the importance of using data to find their students' reading levels and how to determine the readability of leveled text so students can be appropriately matched to high-interest books. The course takes teachers through the entire process of guided reading. Additional topics include how to organize a shared guided reading library, how to incorporate writing into the guided reading framework, and how to further differentiate for English language learners. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The information in each unit was extremely helpful! It was organized very well and very clearly! I learned so many wonderful ideas that I feel I can immediately apply to my teaching!" - Lisa Forschner
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Introduction to Guided Reading
- Elements of Guided Reading
- Benefits of Guided Reading
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Guided Reading Text Gradients
- Finding Student Reading Levels
- Data-Driven Decision Making
- Using High-Interest Leveled Texts
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- The Guided Reading Lesson
- Before, During, and After Reading Activities
- Guided Reading in Action
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Building Blocks of Effective Reading Instruction
- Focus on Comprehension
- Test #4
- Guided Reading Within the 90-Minute Reading Block
- Organizing the Guided Reading Classroom
- Organizing the Shared Guided Reading Library
- Test #5
- Incorporating Writing into the Guided Reading Framework
- Working with English Language Learners During Guided Reading
- Extended Guided Reading
- Assignment #4: Create Guided Reading Lessons
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.