Supporting Math Foundational Skills in the Primary Grades
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 108T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40223
Do you find that your K-3 students often struggle with the most basic of mathematical principles? Do you want to find a way to better support those students as they learn to unlock the gift of mathematics? The intent of this course is to provide a toolbox of both information and activities that K-3 teachers can use to support students who struggle to understand and grasp both the meaning and the manipulation of basic math principles. Some of the topics include counting and cardinality, counting objects, rote counting, number sense of quantity, counting on and back, operations of addition and subtraction, composing and decomposing numbers, the application of mathematical foundational skills within the problem-solving process, and guiding students to use their problem-solving and critical-thinking skills to make real-world connections. Teachers will also learn how to determine student levels and how to choose and design assessments to best utilize the resources that are available within a typical math curriculum. As teachers work through this course, they will learn how to create meaningful and engaging activities in order to promote student ownership, and they will learn how to establish home connections so that those mathematical habits of mind can flourish. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content and resources were thorough and helpful. I was able to use a lot immediately in my classroom." - Jessica Cullen
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Importance of Establishing Foundational Skills
- Critical Areas in Mathematics
- A Review of the Math Practice Standards
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Determining Student Levels
- Choosing and Designing an Assessment Style
- Utilizing Resources Within Your Math Curriculum
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Counting and Cardinality
- Counting Objects
- Rote Counting
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Number Sense and Quantity
- Counting On and Back
- Operations of Addition and Subtraction
- Compose and Decompose Numbers
- Test #4
- Foundations of Problem Solving
- The Application of Foundational Skills Within the Problem-Solving Process
- Using Mathematics as a Tool to Make Real-World Connections
- Test #5
- Taking Ownership Through Engagement
- Establishing Home Connections and Mathematical Habits of Mind
- Assignment #4: Develop math foundation lessons
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.