Differentiated Instruction: One Size Does Not Fit All
(Grades K-6) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 88T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41487
Are you struggling with how to meet the needs of the varied ability levels of your students? This online course helps teachers to analyze the learning styles and readiness of their students so they can effectively develop a differentiated curriculum to meet the needs of a diverse population. Teachers will gain a clear understanding of the needs of multilingual, special education, and academically diverse classrooms and will learn how to adjust their lessons to accommodate the different needs and learning styles of their students. Different strategies and resources such as tiered instruction, multiple intelligences, and universal design for learning (UDL) will be presented so that teachers can better embrace and implement the principles of differentiated instruction into their classrooms. Finally, teachers will understand the impact of social-emotional issues on the learning process. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content offered in this course was superb. It was easy to understand and very easy to implement into my lesson plans. After teaching for 14 years, I felt that this course gave me a fresh new look at teaching." - Samantha McCann
$127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
How to Differentiate Instruction in Academically Diverse Classrooms by Carol Ann Tomlinson
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- What is differentiated instruction?
- Knowing the Learning Styles of Students
- Diagnosing the Difference in Readiness
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Differentiating Instruction for Reading
- Differentiating Instruction for Math
- Differentiating Instruction for Social Studies and Science
- Digital Differentiation
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Special Needs Students in Mainstream Classrooms
- Gifted and Talented Students
- The Multilingual Classroom
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Creating an Environment for Learning
- Managing the Differentiated Classroom
- Adjusting and Grouping Instruction
- Test #4
- Guidelines for Tiered Lessons
- Multiple Intelligences
- Universal Design for Learning
- Test #5
- Assessment Techniques
- Social-Emotional Learning Factors
- Differentiation within Culturally Diverse Populations
- Assignment #4: Develop two three-tiered lesson plans
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.