Comprehension Strategies for Middle and Upper Grades
(Grades 4-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 74T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41476
Are you concerned about students who read the assigned text or chapter yet have little or no comprehension of the content upon completion? Effective comprehension skills are critical for students in the upper grades, as they are exposed to more difficult content reading. This online course provides teachers with excellent strategies designed to boost both comprehension and retention. Teachers will learn successful comprehension-building strategies such as DRTA, SQ3R, and close reading. Lessons are presented to teach students how to infer, draw conclusions, and summarize. Teachers will receive resources that can be used to teach students about the different text structures and how they can use that information to improve their comprehension. Teachers will also learn how to conduct quick assessments in order to identify struggling readers so that they may offer the necessary support to help those students find success. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The strategies in the course will be extremely helpful to me. I am excited to get started. My students will never be bored!" - Donna Snyder
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Focus on Comprehension: Putting Research into Action
- Levels of Comprehension
- Common Core State Standards for Reading
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Focus Strategy: DRTA
- Focus Strategy: SQ3R
- Focus Strategy: Close Reading
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Strategies to Teach Inferring
- Questioning Levels and Techniques
- How to Summarize Text
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Text Structure and Patterns of Organization
- Focus on Nonfiction Text
- Note-Taking and Outlining Skills
- Test #4
- Comprehension Assessment
- Working with Struggling Readers
- Guided Comprehension
- Test #5
- Effects of Vocabulary on Comprehension
- Teaching Content Vocabulary
- Self-Assessment of Comprehension
- Assignment #4: Design a content lesson that incorporates a comprehension strategy
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.