Responsive Classroom Management in the Primary Grades
(Grades K-3) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 7T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40138
Does it sometimes seem like your students are running your classroom, instead of the other way around? Let’s face it — we’ve all been there at one time or another. It doesn’t matter if you are new to the profession or a seasoned veteran, there’s no doubt about it — managing an entire classroom of students can be tough. This online course addresses some of the most daunting classroom management issues including how to set boundaries and teach expectations, the importance of establishing and teaching routines, keeping students motivated, working with diverse student populations, social and emotional learning, and using character education to prevent bullying behaviors. Teachers will also enjoy learning about the importance of being proactive and positive, as well as how to create clear and concise rules and routines which have logical consequences. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I really enjoyed this course and learned alot. I already told my students we will be revamping our rules and consequences soon. I will be using techniques related to the restorative/proactive approach in my classroom. I'm happy I took this course." - Maureen Gambino
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Classroom Management Defined
- Finding Your Management Style
- Establishing a Trusting Environment
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Power of Proactive
- The Art of Motivation
- The Importance of Organization
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Setting Boundaries and Teaching Expectations
- Classroom Rules and Procedures
- Using Classroom Tools to Manage Procedures and Routines
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Issue of Discipline
- Response to Intervention
- School-Wide Management
- Test #4
- Social and Emotional Learning
- The Character Education Connection
- Preventing and Addressing Bullying
- Test #5
- Working with Small Groups
- Working with Diverse Populations
- Home-School Connection
- Assignment #4: Create solutions to classroom management scenarios/issues
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.