21st Century Thinking Skills that Promote College and Career Readiness
(Grades K-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 104T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40293
Do the phrases college and career ready and 21st century skills keep popping up on your radar? Are you wondering exactly what they mean and what you can do as a teacher to help your students become better thinkers and learners? This online course is designed for K-12 teachers who are looking to explore strategies for incorporating students’ higher-order thinking skills into their classroom practices. In doing so, students become critical and creative thinkers and communicators who are able to work collaboratively while embracing others’ diverse cultural perspectives in a global community of 21st century learners. This course begins by discussing how the age of acceleration has shifted how students are taught so that their very important social-emotional skills are embraced, skills which are essential to college and career readiness in the 21st century. Teachers will learn how to create a culturally relevant and globally accessible classroom environment that embraces the “6Cs of education.” Teachers will take a deep dive into these six components of 21st century learning (critical thinking, creativity, collaboration, communication, culture, and civic and global readiness). By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident in their quest to implement these essential 21st century thinking skills successfully into their own teaching practices. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"The content was great! I really enjoyed learning about the 21st Century Skills. The reading was interesting and I particularly liked the sample lessons and examples." - Bonnie Redding
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Age of Acceleration
- The 21st Century Thinker/Learner
- Making Thinking Visible
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Critical Thinking in the 21st Century
- The Art of Questioning
- Best Practices to Ignite Critical Thinking
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Higher-Order Thinking Skills
- Defining Creativity
- Best Practices to Ignite Creativity
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- The Importance of Student Engagement and Motivation to Collaboration
- The Foundations of Collaboration
- Best Practices to Ignite Collaboration
- Test #4
- The Many Faces of Literacy
- Communication in the 21st Century
- Best Practices to Ignite Communication
- Test #5
- The Importance of Culture in the 21st Century
- Civic and Global Readiness
- Assessing 21st Century Skills
- Assignment #4: Create lessons based on the "6Cs"
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.