Best Practices for a Successful Middle School Classroom
(Grades 6-8) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 17T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41572
Do you need help managing your middle school classroom? This course is designed for teachers of grades six through eight who are interested in exploring best practices for developing and managing a successful junior high or middle school classroom. This course covers strategies for implementing the new 21st century standards, while managing time so that all content is covered. Behavioral issues common in grades six through eight are covered along with overall classroom management techniques. Teachers learn how to maximize the resources available to them as well as find innovative ways to gain more resources at little to no cost. This course also introduces successful strategies for gaining students’ attention and interest, and truly engaging them in lessons. Teachers will also learn how to respond to a variety of teaching challenges, including how to effectively reach their most at-risk students. Mainstreaming English language learners and techniques for differentiating instruction to meet the needs of all students is covered as well. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Great course! I would highly recommend this course for new teachers as well as seasoned veterans. The course content was relevant to my experiences in middle school. I was able to refresh what I already knew as well as learn new strategies and perspectives." - Nancy Reynolds
$124 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$329 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- The Most Common Challenges in a Middle School Classroom
- The Perfect Junior High or Middle School Classroom
- The Teacher’s Role in a Successful Middle School Classroom
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Effective Time Management and Organizational Strategies
- The Best Methods for Managing Behavior
- Motivation Matters!
- Anti-Bullying Strategies for the Middle School Classroom
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Differentiating Instruction to Meet the Needs of All Students
- Helping English Language Learners to Succeed
- Understanding and Helping Students with Special Needs
- Working with Students Who Live in Poverty
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Transitioning to the Common Core State Standards with Confidence
- Understanding and Preparing Students for the Common Core Assessments
- Test #4
- Addressing a Lack of Classroom Resources
- Making the Most of Technology
- Test #5
- Working with Parents
- Maintaining the Classroom You Created
- Resources for the Successful Middle School Classroom
- Assignment #4: Develop a plan for using new strategies
- Assignment #5: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.