Best Practices for a Successful High School Classroom
(Grades 9-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 33T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41580
Are you a high school teacher interested in improving your instructional strategies and classroom management techniques? This online course provides opportunities for teachers to explore strategies for improving differentiation by scaffolding for a variety of learning abilities including gifted students, English language learners, and special needs students. Additionally, the course provides solutions for common obstacles at the high school level, including engagement strategies and time management. Throughout the course, teachers will find resources to use in the classroom, some for student management and others for instructional purposes. Teachers will also learn a variety of strategies for using technology to improve student learning and performance. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I absolutely loved this course as it has been so valuable in helping me with real-world suggestions and handouts that I can take and use immediately." - Andrea Walker
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Discipline in the Secondary Classroom: A Positive Approach to Behavior Management by Randall S. Sprick
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Most Common Challenges in a High School Classroom
- The Perfect High School Classroom
- Learning Goals for a Successful High School Classroom
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- The Best Engagement Strategies for High School Students
- Time Management and Organizational Strategies
- Motivating Students for Success
- Anti-Bullying Strategies at the High School Level
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Differentiating Instruction for All Student
- Serving English Language Learners
- Serving Students with Special Needs
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Transitioning to the Common Core State Standards with Confidence
- Rigor and the Common Core Standards
- Understanding and Preparing Students for the Common Core Assessments
- Test #4
- Technology Resources for Teaching and Learning
- Making the Most of Classroom Resources
- Test #5
- Making Grading More Manageable
- Creating a Supportive Relationship with Parents
- Resources for the Successful High School Classroom
- Assignment #4: Develop a plan for using new strategies
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.