Developing Phonemic Awareness in Emergent Readers
(Grades PreK-2) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 76T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41478
Do you find yourself struggling to find effective strategies for teaching the foundational skills of reading? This online course focuses on developing a child’s phonemic awareness to prepare him or her to be a successful reader. The course begins with phonemic awareness assessment options. Based on the assessment results, the teacher can determine which strategies are most appropriate for each student. Instructional strategies presented in the course include: blending, rhyming, alliteration, onset and rime, syllable segmentation, and many more. Teachers will also be introduced to the connection between phonemic awareness and writing. Teachers will also learn how to use the language experience approach to reinforce basic phonemic skills and concepts. Teachers will understand the importance of teaching high frequency and sight words. Finally, teachers will learn how to build the important home-school connection so that basic skills learned in the classroom can be practiced and reinforced at home. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I have taken several online courses and the PDI course content and resources were excellent. I was able to transfer course content to my classroom directly. I am very pleased that I took this course." - Christian Barnes
$127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
A Fresh Look at Phonics by Wiley Blevins
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Phonemic Awareness Research
- Assessing Phonemic Awareness
- Introduction to the Common Core Standards for Reading
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Visual and Auditory Discrimination
- Introducing Letters and Alphabetic Knowledge
- Introducing Phonemes
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Introducing Blending
- Introducing Rhymes
- Introduction to Syllable Segmentation
- Onset and Rime
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Concepts About Print
- Language Experience Approach
- Importance of Comprehension
- Test #4
- Cloze Procedure and Maze Technique
- Assessment Through Retelling
- High Frequency and Sight Words
- Test #5
- Making the Most of Read Alouds
- Getting Parents Involved - Reading at Home
- The Emergent Writer
- Assignment #4: Develop activities for five predictable or rhyming books
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.