Study Smarter Not Harder: Study Skills for Students
(Grades 4-12) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 89T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41443
Are your students in need of study skills training in order to help them become more successful students and test takers? This online course is designed to provide teachers with the necessary tools for helping their students improve their study skills, not by working harder, but by working smarter. Throughout the course, teachers will gain valuable insights into helping their students set S.M.A.R.T. goals as they work to become active participants in the learning process. Teachers will be introduced to multiple techniques, ideas, and resources to help students develop their study skills, including such things as the use of mnemonics, time management strategies, note-taking skills, and the ability to establish a beneficial study environment. With the use of visual aids, innovative strategies, and interactive worksheets, teachers will be able to take the fear out of test-taking. Teachers will also be provided with specific tips to help students score well on test sections involving reading, math, and problem solving. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found this class to be filled with practical, useable information. I was able to learn and apply strategies to help my students study more effectively even before I was through with the course." - Kevin Iapichino-Dorr
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Setting Study Goals
- Understanding Text Structure and Organization
- Student Self-Assessment
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Helping Students Become Active Learners
- Time Management and Organization
- Developing Critical Reading Skills
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Using Mnemonics
- Note Taking and Outlining Skills
- Using Study Partners
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Using Practice Tests and Online Quizzes
- How to Help Students Study Smarter
- Using Audio and Visual Aides for Studying
- Test #4
- Creating a Healthy Study Environment
- Developing Lifelong Study Habits
- Mastering Test Taking: Tips and Tricks
- Test #5
- Scoring High: Reading
- Scoring High: Vocabulary
- Scoring High: Problem Solving
- Test Day: How to Be Prepared
- Assignment #4: Create a study guide and sample test
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.