Incorporating SEL Skills into the Content Areas
(Grades PreK-5) / Flex Course
PDI Course Number: 126T02 / UCSD Course Number: EDUC42255
Are you finding it difficult to incorporate social and emotional learning (SEL) best practices into your content-rich classroom? Now, more than ever, social and emotional learning is the impetus to academic growth. This online course is designed to take a deep dive into social-emotional learning and the core competencies that surround it. Teachers will learn how to use growth mindset principles and strategies so that an inclusive classroom community can be built and supported, resulting in an atmosphere of self-awareness and self-efficacy. Teachers will learn how to use interactive read-alouds to promote perspective taking, and they will learn how writing can be used as a pathway to promote self-awareness. In terms of math, teachers will learn how to create shared learning targets and connect the mathematical practice standards to SEL so that students can become mathematically proficient. The content area of science is also explored, as teachers learn how to incorporate SEL best practices through project-based learning so that students are motivated to become engaged and informed world citizens. Teachers will also learn about the importance of incorporating SEL best practices into the arts, and that doing so fosters a complete and whole student perspective. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to embed the principles of social-emotional learning into their own teaching practices within the content areas so that their students can become complete and whole global citizens. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
Only $127 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $323 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
The Heart and Science of Teaching by C. Bobbi Hansen
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- What is Social-Emotional Learning?
- The Five Core SEL Competencies
- Advancing Equity through SEL Best Practices
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography
- Test #1
- Building and Supporting an Inclusive Classroom Community
- The Integration of Growth Mindset Principles
- Fostering an Atmosphere of Self-Awareness and Self-Efficacy
- Assignment #2: Article reflection
- Test #2
- Social and Emotional Learning in the English Language Arts
- Using Interactive Read-Alouds to Promote Perspective Taking
- Writing as a Pathway to Promote Self-Awareness
- Assignment #3: Share your expertise
- Test #3
- Using SEL to Develop Mathematically Proficient Students
- Connecting the Mathematical Practice Standards to SEL
- Creating Shared Learning Targets
- Test #4
- Social and Emotional Learning in Science Instruction
- Transforming Teaching through Project-Based Learning
- Motivating Students to Become Engaged Citizens
- Test #5
- Incorporating SEL into the Arts
- SEL as a Shared Responsibility
- Taking Care of Teacher
- Assignment #4: Create lesson plans that connect SEL skills to academic content
- Assignment #5: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.