Study Smarter Not Harder: Study Skills for Students
(Grades 4-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 89BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41443
Are your students in need of study skills training to help them become more successful students and test takers? This online course is designed to provide teachers in grades 4-12 with the necessary tools to help students improve their study skills, not by working harder, but by working smarter. Throughout the course, teachers will gain valuable insights into helping their students set and track S.M.A.R.T. goals as they work to become active participants in the learning process. Teachers will be taken through the problem-solving process as they learn how to help their students apply their metacognitive skills so that they become more adept at studying. Teachers will learn specific techniques to help students stay organized (including space, time, and process). Teachers will be introduced to multiple techniques, ideas, and resources to help students learn how to ask questions, dissect different types of text, and understand text structures and features, all of which are geared toward helping them develop their study skills. Teachers will take a deep dive into specific study strategies for reading and vocabulary, and they will explore a variety of additional study techniques that can be applied to any content area across grades 4-12. Teachers will also learn several tips and tricks for helping their students master the art of taking tests, making them prepared and confident once test day arrives. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to prepare their students for the future by working smarter, not harder. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found this class to be filled with practical, useable information. I was able to learn and apply strategies to help my students study more effectively even before I was through with the course." - Kevin Iapichino-Dorr
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester courses must be complete by August 24th.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Every Leaner is Different
- Helping Students Become Active Learners
- Understanding the Problem Solving Process
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Laying a Solid Foundation for Learning
- Identifying and Setting S.M.A.R.T Goals
- Tracking Progress and Monitoring Goals
- Assignment #2: Review classroom scenarios and create S.M.A.R.T goals
- Organize Your Space
- Organize Your Process
- Organize Your Time
- Assignment #3: Determine study strategies for a student
- The Art of Asking Questions
- Dissecting Types of Text
- Understanding Text Structures and Features
- Assignment #4: Create questions for informational text
- Study Strategies for Reading
- Study Strategies for Vocabulary
- Additional Study Techniques
- Assignment #5: Create a practice test
- Mastering Test Taking: Tips and Tricks
- Test Day: How to Be Prepared
- Developing Lifelong Study Habits
- Assignment #6: Teach test prediction techniques
- Assignment #7: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.