Educating the Whole Student: Mindfulness & Social-Emotional Learning
(Grades K-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 105BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40154
Are you curious as to what social-emotional learning is and how it relates to teaching and learning? Social and emotional learning (SEL) is a process for learning essential life skills such as decision making, problem solving, effective communication, empathy, perseverance, and coping, just to name a few. This online course is designed for K-12 teachers who want to focus on the whole student by supporting social-emotional learning skills but may not know where to begin. Teachers will learn specific strategies for addressing students' social and emotional needs through such topics as mindfulness, resolving conflict, anti-bullying, and character education. Teachers will also learn about the role they play in nurturing students' self-efficacy, grit, compassion, gratitude, and positive attitudes as they work to help diverse groups of students manage their emotions and make good decisions. Teachers will also learn how to develop a strong school-family partnership. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I loved this course! I think it was one of the best PDI classes I have taken. I have so many ideas and strategies I want to try, and have a clear understanding of mindfulness and social-emotional learning." - Katherine Wang
Only $170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $366 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester courses must be completed by August 24th.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Social Emotional Learning and the Brain by Marilee Sprenger
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Whole Student Approach to Learning
- Social and Emotional Learning: A Schoolwide Approach
- Minding Mindfulness
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- The Teacher's Role in the Whole Student Classroom
- Teaching the Intangibles
- Connecting SEL and Mindfulness Practices to the Classroom
- Assignment #2: Incorporate an intangible trait into a lesson plan
- Coaching Students to Manage Everyday Relationships
- Making the Right Choices
- Regulating and Resolving Conflict and Intense Emotions
- Assignment #3: Create problem-solving scenarios
- Dealing with Diversity
- Communication is Key
- Becoming Socially Aware
- Assignment #4: Develop a lesson plan for a social skill
- The Character Education Connection
- Using SEL to Prevent Bullying and Improve School Climate
- Nurturing Self-Efficacy
- Assignment #5: Create an activity that integrates social-emotional learning and character education
- Building and Supporting an Inclusive Classroom Community
- Responsive Classroom Approach and Social-Emotional Learning
- Establishing and Nurturing School-Family Partnerships
- Assignment #6: Share tips and strategies
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.