Focus on Phonics
(Grades K-3) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 72AXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41475
Do your students lack basic phonics skills? This online course focuses on effective ways to teach children to decode unknown words. Phonics basics will be emphasized along with specific ways to help students who are struggling in this area. Using context clues and structural analysis as a means of decoding will also be introduced. Suggestions for teaching sight words, high frequency words, and instant words will be shared. Teachers will also learn how to use the making words and chunking strategies as well as how to implement reader’s workshop and literacy stations. Teachers will gain ideas for using the language experience approach to reinforce phonics and spelling skills. The course will also focus on assessment strategies for phonics and decoding, including running records, miscue analysis, and informal reading inventories. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I felt that this course touched on everything that I was looking for in the area of phonics. I felt the articles were easy to read and informative. The instructor and staff could not have been more helpful" - Megan Barberio
$170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$366 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Making Sense of Phonics: The Hows and Whys by Isabel L. Beck and Mark E. Beck
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Focus on Phonics
- A Dictionary of Phonics Terms
- Introduction to the Common Core Standards for Reading
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Running Records
- Miscue Analysis
- Other Informal Phonics Assessments
- Assignment #2: Assess phonics skills or describe your assessment methods previously used
- How to Use Diagnostic Information
- Decoding, Fluency, and Comprehension
- Decoding and Phonics
- Assignment #3: Take a phonics quiz
- Decoding and Structural Analysis
- Making Words
- Language Experience Approach
- Assignment #4: Write a making words lesson
- Visual and Auditory Discrimination
- Phonics and Spelling
- High Frequency and Sight Words
- Assignment #5: Develop word sort lists
- Early Reading Strategies
- Literacy Work Stations
- Reader's Workshop
- Assignment #6: Design literacy work stations
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.