Supporting Students Using a MTSS Framework
(Grades 6-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 139BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC42318
As a busy secondary level teacher, do you find it difficult to support all your students’ individual academic and behavioral needs? Do you have certain students who challenge you more than others? This online course is designed for teachers in grades 6-12 who want to learn how to use a multi-tiered system to support all their students’ academic, behavior, and social-emotional needs. Universal screening measures are examined as well as using data to guide decisions within the classroom, with a focus on identifying students at-risk for poor academic outcomes. Information on academic supports is shared including universal design for learning, culturally responsive teaching, differentiated instruction, and instilling a growth mindset in students. Specific multi-tiered strategies are introduced to help teachers support students who struggle behaviorally. Teachers will learn the importance of utilizing reinforcement techniques, extinction plans, functional behavior assessments, and behavior intervention plans. A variety of social-emotional strategies are also discussed, including social skills instruction and the impact school climate has on students’ mental health. By the end of the course, teachers will feel more confident and successful in their quest to embed a multi-tiered system of supports within their own teaching practices to best support their students. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This course provided great information on how to assess students who need additional academic and social-emotional support as well as helpful resources on how to help these students." - Clinton McElroy
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester online courses must be completed by August 24th.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- A Multi-Tiered Approach to Supporting Students
- Universal Screening to Identify Students At-Risk
- Using Data to Make Informed Decisions
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection Unit Two
- Universal Academic Instruction
- Evidence-Based Academic Interventions
- Encouraging a Growth Mindset
- Assignment #2: Create a UDL lesson
- Supporting Positive Behaviors in the Secondary Classroom
- Recording Students’ Targeted Behavior
- Designing and Implementing Functional Behavior Assessments and Behavior Intervention Plans
- Assignment #3: Create an ABC Chart and a BIP for a student with troublesome behavior
- Reinforcing Desirable Behaviors
- Placing Behaviors on Extinction
- Engaging Families in MTSS
- Assignment #4: Design a behavior extinction plan
- The Impact of Mental Health on School Climate
- Social-Emotional Competencies for Secondary Students
- Social Skills Instruction
- Assignment #5: Design an activity to teach SEL skills
- Supporting Students That Have Been Exposed to Trauma
- Interventions for Students with Language Differences
- Considerations for Struggling Students
- Assignment #6: Respond to a Data Scenario
- Assignment #7: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.