Google as a Classroom Tool for Learning
(Grades K-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 67BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC41509
Do you feel overwhelmed by all of the Google tools currently available to educators and are wondering what is the best way to implement them into your teaching? This online course introduces K-12 teachers to some of the best practices for effectively integrating a variety of Google products and services into their classrooms for educational purposes. This course allows teachers to practice navigating through the general interface of many different Google products including Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Drawings, Classroom, Sites, Photos, Blogger, Maps, Earth, and YouTube. The searching, organizational, communication, and collaboration components of various Google products will be highlighted in order to help teachers develop a deeper understanding of how Google can enhance learning among and between students. Teachers will learn to utilize the basic tools of many educationally-relevant Google products and, through the use of such products, will become skilled in creating standards-based lessons that will help students learn in an efficient, effective, and engaged manner. Teachers will also be introduced to some of the basics for using Chromebooks in their classrooms. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"Excellent course! I learned so much. The notes that were provided online were excellent. Content and resources were relevant and allowed me to learn more about Google than I thought was possible." - McKenzie Costello
$170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$365 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Spring semester online courses must be completed by May 18th.
Print our customized course approval form to share with your school district.
- Introduction to Google
- Internet Safety
- Why Create a Google Account?
- Google as a Search Engine
- A Googol of Search Tools
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Managing your Gmail
- Using Google Calendar to Stay Organized
- Assignment #2: Create a classroom calendar using Google Calendar
- All About Apps
- The Educational Possibilities of Google Drive
- Google Drawings
- Assignment #3: Using Google Docs, compose instructions for a group project that must be completed by students using Google Drive
- An Introduction to Google Classroom
- Organizing Images with Google Photo
- Creating a Classroom Website with Google
- Blogger: A Google Blog
- Assignment #4: Create a classroom blog using Google Blogger
- Staying Current with Google News
- Get Lost in Google Maps
- Student Exploration of Google Earth
- Chromebook Basics
- Assignment #5: Write an activity using two Google apps
- Using Google Groups to Promote Online Discussion
- A New View on YouTube
- Google Lesson Plans and Resources
- Google Going Mobile
- Assignment #6: Create lesson plans using Google tools
- Assignment #7: Course Reflection
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.