Bridging the Gap: High-Yield Strategies to Recover from Learning Loss
(Grades K-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 124BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC42226
Does the prospect of finding a way to identify and reverse learning loss give you cause for alarm? Because of the extended learning disruptions caused by the global pandemic, teachers across the country are desperate to find ways to recover from the learning loss experienced by most students. This online course is designed to give K-12 teachers the peace of mind they so desperately crave as they return to in-person instruction after a long absence. The course begins by discussing the impact that the novel coronavirus has had on schools. Teachers will learn strategies for using a variety of social and emotional best practices to attend to the whole student so that trauma and anxiety can be addressed head-on. As the course progresses, teachers will learn how to motivate their returning students by meeting them where they are through several research-backed best practices such as tiered lessons, guided inquiry, project-based learning, and active learning strategies. Teachers will take a deep dive into nine high-yield instructional strategies that have been proven to show the most potential for bridging any learning gaps. Teachers will learn how to compact their curriculum and to leverage technology in their favor. By the end of this course, teachers will feel more confident in their quest to embed a variety of high-yield, best practices into their own teaching habits so that any and all learning gaps can be bridged and conquered. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
$170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
$366 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
You have up to one year from the date you are enrolled to complete a flex course.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Architects of Deeper Learning: Intentional Design for High-Impact Instruction by Lissa Pijanowski
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Impact of Coronavirus on Schools
- The “New Normal” Classroom
- Addressing Trauma and Anxiety
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- The Importance of Social and Emotional Learning
- Closing the Achievement Gap through Growth Mindset and Metacognition
- Motivating Students to Succeed
- Assignment #2: Create a lesson to spark a growth mindset
- Meeting Students Where They Are
- Multi-Tiered System of Support
- Creating Resilient Learners
- Collaboration in a New Environment
- Assignment #3: Analyze a student scenario
- Embracing High-Yield Instructional Strategies
- Empowering Students with Active Learning Strategies
- Using Technology to Your Advantage
- Assignment #4: Develop a TPT activity
- Bridging the Gap with Guided Inquiry
- Bridging the Gap with the Workshop Model
- Bridging the Gap with Project-Based Learning
- Compacting the Curriculum
- Assignment #5: Design a lesson that adheres to any of the four curriculum models presented
- Holding Students Accountable
- Bridging the Gap in the Face of Adversity
- Assignment #6: Post a tip, strategy, or idea
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.