Motivating and Engaging Middle and High School Students
(Grades 6-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 107BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40177
Do you struggle to get through to your students? No matter what you do and no matter how many different strategies you try, some students remain aloof and disinterested in the learning process. The fact of the matter is that both engagement and motivation are precursors to student success, but for a variety of different reasons, both tend to drop as students get older. This online course is designed for teachers in grades 6-12 who want to light that internal fire and re-ignite interest so that their students are intrinsically motivated to learn and engage. Teachers will learn about the basic framework of motivation as well as the science behind student motivation and engagement. Some of the highlighted topics include motivating students through differentiation, goal setting, and learner-centered classroom practices, all under the auspices of a rigorous classroom. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found the resources extremely valuable to keep my students actively engaged. The course text is also a great resource to have on-hand for future reference." - Muriel Allen-Fields
as low as $160 with the 20% discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
as low as $344 with the 20% discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester courses must be completed by August 24th.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Empower Your Students: Tools to Inspire a Meaningful School Experience by Lauren Porosoff and Jonathan Weinstein
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Mindset of Motivation
- The Basic Framework of Motivation
- Why Student Motivation and Engagement Matter
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- The Science of Motivation
- Building a Unique Motivation Profile
- The Importance of Social Status at School
- Assignment #2: Plan an activity that incorporates the teaching of tolerance and acceptance
- Rigor: It's NOT a Four-Letter Word
- Creating a Learner-Centered Classroom
- Motivating and Engaging Students through Differentiation
- Assignment #3: Differentiate a lesson
- The Purpose and Power of Voice and Choice
- Helping Students Make Good Choices
- Goal Setting
- Assignment #4: Respond to scenarios
- Strategies that Promote Active Learning
- Making Learning Meaningful
- The Importance of Social-Emotional Skills
- Assignment #5: Incorporate social-emotional learning competencies into a lesson
- The Importance of Classroom Management
- Moving from Engagement to Empowerment
- Engaging Students with Limited Resources
- Assignment #6: Develop a total participation technique activity
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.