(Grades K-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 106BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40162
Are your students learning? Most teachers would emphatically say, "Yes!" without a moment's hesitation. But, how exactly do you know this to be true? What kind of data do you have to back it up? This online course is designed for K-12 teachers who want to not only learn about the data-driven decision-making process, but who want to dig deep into the data to help them further drive their instruction for the benefit of all students. In addition to learning about the different phases of the data-driven process, teachers will also learn how to "read" and analyze data so that any newly-discovered trends and weaknesses can be turned into concrete learning and understanding. Teachers will also learn about the role they play in guiding students to perform their best, using data to support their instructional decisions. Teachers will learn several data-driven instructional best practices as well as how to use various types of data to their utmost advantage, employing technology as much as possible. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"This course was practical and informative. It allowed me to be reflective on my current practices, and gain new strategies and tips to continue to improve my use of data in the classroom." - Laura Russak
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
How Teachers Can Turn Data into Action by Donald R. Venables
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Data and Teacher Effectiveness
- The Principles of Data-Driven Instruction
- Creating a School-Wide Culture of Data-Driven Instruction
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Types of Data
- The Basics of Assessment
- The Process of Collecting Data
- Assignment #2: Define how data can be used to help a struggling student
- Analyzing Data
- Using Data to Inform Instruction
- Finding Hidden Data Gems
- Assignment #3: Design an action plan based on data
- Creating Data Teams
- Using Data to Guide Whole Group Instruction
- The Role of Data in Small Group Instruction
- Assignment #4: Respond to data presented in a scenario
- Data-Driven Instruction and Student Motivation
- Displaying Data
- Demystifying Data to Form Stronger Parent Partnerships
- Assignment #5: Analyze provided data
- Response to Intervention
- The Role of Technology in Data-Driven Instruction
- Data-Driven Instruction Best Practices
- Assignment #6: Share a formative assessment technology tool or app
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.