Engaging, Motivating, and Managing Your Students
(Grades 4-8) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 6BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40127
Does your classroom seem like a nightmare at times? Let’s face it — we’ve all been there at one time or another. It doesn’t matter if you are new to the profession or a seasoned veteran, there’s no doubt about it — managing an entire classroom of students can be tough. This online course addresses some of the most daunting classroom management issues including how to keep your students motivated, working with diverse student populations, social and emotional learning, and engaging students with limited resources. Teachers will also enjoy learning about the importance of being organized and proactive, as well as how to create clear and concise rules and routines which have logical consequences. Rounding out the course is managing small groups, developing a discipline plan, and how to prevent and address bullying issues, among others. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I found the content and resources for this course to be extremely relevant to my teaching and will certainly be utilized in the classroom." - Kristen Ruehl
Only $170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $366 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester courses must be completed by August 24th.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Passionate Learners: How to Engage and Empower Your Students by Pernille Ripp
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- The Importance of Classroom Management
- Introduction to Different Management Styles
- Finding the Right Fit
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Creating a Positive Classroom Climate
- Respecting Diversity and Differences
- The Power of Proactive
- Assignment #2: Respond to classroom management scenarios
- The Character Education Connection
- Response to Intervention
- Social and Emotional Learning
- Assignment #3: Develop a lesson plan based on social and emotional learning and positive character traits
- The Importance of Organization and Routines
- Developing a Discipline Plan
- School-Wide Management
- Assignment #4: Create a discipline plan
- Working with Small Groups
- Motivation Matters
- Working with Diverse Student Populations
- Assignment #5: Develop a student strategy plan
- Preventing and Addressing Bullying
- Engaging Students with Limited Resources
- Home-School Connection
- Assignment #6: Locate online resources
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.