Character Education for the 21st Century
(Grades K-12) / Semester Course
PDI Course Number: 3BXX / UCSD Course Number: EDUC40129
Does it often seem that students are lacking good character? Do you believe if your students had better character they would be better behaved in class? Incorporating character education into your daily lessons can help your classroom run more effectively. This online course is designed to guide teachers through the six pillars of character education — trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship. Teachers will explore innovative ways to incorporate each of the six pillars into their daily lessons so that students are better able to make the right choices when confronted with problem situations. Throughout the course, teachers will learn specific strategies for incorporating the six pillars into their daily lessons through the use of scenarios, classroom activities, service learning projects, and literature. Teachers will learn about the relationship between character education and bullying, and how behaviors can be managed through the use of good character and strong, positive, inclusive classroom practices. Finally, teachers will learn how to use restorative justice to put the onus of good character back on their students through the use of conflict resolution and peer mediation. This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units/5 quarter units (50 hours of training) from UC San Diego Extension. For detailed information on university credit, click here.
"I started my new year out by writing a respect agreement with my class. It is working great. I am so glad I took this class. I have been teaching the character traits to my students and it is really making a difference in the way our class community is treating each other." - Margaret Nicholson
Only $170 with the discount
Course with Credit from UCSD Extension
Only $366 with the discount
This course is worth 3 ⅓ semester units or 5 quarter units of graduate-level credit from UC San Diego.
Summer semester courses must be completed by August 24th.
Required Resource Book
This course has a modestly-priced required resource book (available in both new and used versions) that can be purchased through Amazon using the following link. Note that you can begin and participate in your course before the book arrives.
Discipline that Restores: Strategies to Create Respect, Cooperation, and Responsibility in the Classroom by Ron and Roxanne Claassen
If you are registering for multiple courses, use the following link to access the book list for all PDI courses with direct purchase links through Amazon. PDI Course Resource Book List
- Why teach character education?
- Overview of the Six Pillars of Character Education
- Pillar #1: Trustworthiness
- Assignment #1: Write an autobiography/Write an article reflection
- Pillar #2: Respect
- Pillar #3: Responsibility
- Pillar #4: Fairness
- Assignment #2: Plan and teach a character education activity
- Pillar #5: Caring
- Pillar #6: Citizenship
- Other Common Character Education Traits
- Assignment #3: Plan character education integration
- Using Literature to Teach Character
- Integrating Character Education into Other Subjects
- Service Learning
- Assignment #4: Create a character education activity based on a piece of literature
- The Impact of School/Classroom Climate on Achievement
- Strategies for Strong Positive Classroom Climates
- The Importance of an Inclusive Community
- Assignment #5: Design a team-building activity
- The Character Education and Behavior Management Connection
- The Relationship between Character Education and Bullying
- Restorative Justice
- Assignment #6: Respond to classroom scenarios
- Assignment #7: Reading/Learning Log (Based on required resource book)
View PDI's Catalog of Courses
Check out a list of all PDI graduate-level online courses or sort by grade level or subject area.
Quick access to register for PDI's online courses using our secure system.
Learn More about PDI
Find out how to reach PDI and get answers to any questions you may have.
Access My Course
Access PDI's online learning management system to begin your course.